Saturday 4 October 2014

Repurposed Flour Sack Laundry Bags


This project is so easy and requires so little skill, I am not even sure I can call it a craft project. Yet it is the simplest ideas that are often the best. These laundry bags are the perfect size for baby clothes and because they hang up save you much needed space.

I have a love of vintage flour sacks, the designs are usually fun and random, I mean look at the ones below. I bought these at a local vintage store for $7 each, but you can get them cheaper (and more expensive!) from EBay or Etsy. I personally would never pay more than $10 for one and even then it would have to be a pretty special flour sack!

You also need an embroidery hoop. I used an 8 inch because I happened to have one lying around. You could easily stretch to a 9 or 10 inch.  These sacks were  inches in width.
Ok here's the hard part :)
- get you embroidery hoop and separate the two pieces 
- put the hoop over the sack at the top
- open up the sack and fold a couple inches of the opening over the loop
- play around with how it gathers so that you can see the picture most clearly
- put the outside piece of the embroidery hoop over the opening with the screw at the back
- tighten the loop
I found that the screw sat perfectly on my door hook but you might need to add a loop depending on where you hang the bag.
You may wonder once it's full whether the bag might slide out of the hoop. I checked, it doesn't. The friction of the cotton and wood from the hoop create a nice grip and you just have to make sure you fold enough of the opening over. See below.

I plan to make a second one so that I can divide light and dark laundry. I will post more ridiculously easy flour sack projects soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment