Friday 17 October 2014

Book Review - Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household


If I remember correctly, this was one of the first books to come out in English about Zakka.
Often with sewing books, you tend to find some obvious projects (totes, etc.) some ingenius ones and some odd ones that seem to be about doing a project for the sake of it. This book definitely has, what seems on the surface to be a mix of these. However when I read about the projects in more detail I was charmed by the snippets of Japanese culture and how it influenced the projects. For example, there's a piece about how people in Japan like to cover their paperback books with a sleeve to keep them clean and private. True it has a tote project but I think the real beauty of this book is that in presenting these ideas, it also teaches the reader about the ethos behind Zakka. I am fascinated by Japanese culture so find it really interesting.
I also loved the esthetic, so fresh and contemporary. It's well organized and I found the directions clear, with useful illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment