Thursday 22 October 2009

Zam Crafts







Necessity really is the mother of invention. Being somewhere like Zambia forces you to be creative, and it helps that people here are so crafty as well. Below are pictures of some of the furniture we have had made for the new house. The chair and chaise longue look great but are a bit are hard and bumpy to sit on so I am planning to make pads and cushions for them. Doing my own upholstery means that we can have the exact décor we want.

Here so much is handmade simply because people can't afford to buy things new. I have seen homemade cars that kids make out of wire and various other bits and pieces, handmade wheelchairs that use bicycle pedals, handmade cages for parrots, the list goes on. Unfortunately, whenever I see these things, I never have my camera with me! I must start carrying it round more.

No comments:

Post a Comment