Thursday 6 November 2014

Book Review: Stitch 'N Bitch - The Knitter's Handbook

One of the problems I have encountered when looking for books to help me start knitting is that they easily date. I have one that I bought a couple of years ago from a very fancy yarn shop. The salesperson assured me it was an ideal beginner's book, but when I got it home I realized that there were very few projects I would want to make. The sweaters were shapeless or cropped (hello 1990s!) and the were so many scarves. Ok, I get it, scarves are a great place to start with knitting but once you've done one.... Needless to say, apart from the cozy throw that I have posted here, my interest in knitting was lukewarm. Fast forward two years and I was looking up reviews on Amazon for knitting books when a reviewer mentioned Stitch ' N Bitch. I had heard of the group and so decided to purchase it.

Now, I won't say I love ALL the projects (there is indeed a cropped sweater, but to be fair the book was published in 2004) but it is lovingly written with great instructions that cover pretty much everything you need to get knitting. I enjoy crafting books that aren't afraid to have a  little personality. Many of my favorite sewing books have great projects but are cold and formal in tone - this is not a description you could give to this book.  Stitch 'N Bitch has a nice mix of charm and anarchy with Debbie Stoller's charming anecdotes about her knitting journey and projects such as a rather risque bikini and kitty ear hat for grown ups (sexy bikini will NEVER date!). If you are a beginner get something that will offer all the basics without taking the fun out of the craft, get this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment