Covering lamps shades is easy! I had no idea, though a bit fiddly. I looked online for methods but a lot suggested making a paper pattern. This makes sense if you have a slanted, or odd shaped shade. Ours are circular and straight edged. So it was much easier.
Easy Way Yo Cover a Lamp
- Tape measure
- Scissors or rotary cutter
- Quilting rule and mat if using a rotary cutter
- Fabric glue (No Stitch is good, it's strong and dries clear)
- Fabric, big patterns work really well.
- Pegs or Clasps
- If your pattern has to be a certain way up, make a note of which way your shade goes
- Measure circumference of the lampshade and add one inch to this measurement
- Measure height of the lamp, add half an inch to this measurement
- Cut out your fabric accordingly
- Start at the seamed part of the lamp, add glue to this part and fix the edge of your fabric, ensuring a 1/4 inch clearance either side (this is for folding over later)
- Carefully add glue at regular intervals along the fabric and roll the shade CAREFULLY along the fabric
-At the end, dot some glue and fix the edge.
- Use the pegs or clamps to keep in place while it dries.
- Once dry, dot glue along the 1/4 inc fabric at the top of the shade, roll over the shade edge and clamp as you go.